I guess this would look prettier if it was not all mixed up in the big bowl, but this is my weekday dinner and I am hungry!
Preparation time: 20 minutes (if you have seitan and peeled peanuts)
Suggested music: Something assimilated... Nouvelle Vague - Bela Lugosi's Dead
- 1 cup asian noodles (your favorite kind)
- 1 onion, chopped (the book says: 2/3 cup sliced scallions, but I can't eat raw onions :/ )
- 2 cups thin strips seitan
- 4 cups shredded Napa cabbage (Chinakohl)
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1 can mandarin oranges (11 ounce)
- 1/2 cup canola oil (book uses peanut oil) + a bit of a more heat-stable oil for sauteing
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- chili oil or chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce + a bit for deglazing
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- salt & pepper
What to do:
- Heat water in a pot and prepare the noodles according to instructions on the package. Place in a big bowl when finished.
- In a pan, heat a little bit of oil (for sauteing) and saute the onion and seitan. Deglaze with a bit of soy sauce. Add to the bowl when finished.
- Place cabbage, peanuts, mandarin oranges (keep the juice!) in the big bowl.
- Prepare the sauce: 2/3 cup of mandarin orange juice, oil, lemon juice, chili oil/flakes to taste, soy sauce, ginger, salt & pepper to taste. Mix and enjoy.